Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cancer's impact

Cancer doesn't define me, but it colors my life. That was my predominate thought a few days ago as I prepared for an interview with a writer for a local magazine.

The magazine is doing a story about local women executives who have had breast cancer, and I was thrilled when asked to be one of the subjects. As I tried to anticipate the interviewer's questions, I kept coming back to that bottom line: cancer is not who I am, but it is a big part of who I have become.

I have accomplished a lot and enjoyed many beautiful times since my first cancer diagnosis in 1996. I will never know for sure if having survived cancer was a propelling force that pushed me further than I would have traveled otherwise, but I suspect it has been a great motivator. I do know that I have a deeper appreciation for what is good and fulfilling than if I had not battled cancer; especially having been through this exercise twice!

It is true, I told the writer: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. In fact, I have felt much healthier in my post-cancer life than before. Good health has been more of a quest; I have worked harder to achieve wellness and to enjoy it than I ever did before my first cancer diagnosis.

It will be interesting in a few months to read about the other women in the article. I anticipate more similarities than differences in our stories. Cancer is the club no one asks to join, but once you're in, the bonds with others are strong.

No comments: