Saturday, July 17, 2010

And many more

This time a year ago, I was sitting in a hospital waiting room, nervously eying the door to the labor and delivery ward where my daughter and son-in-law were preparing to welcome their firstborn, a boy. They had arrived at the hospital late the night before but persuaded me and Tom to get some rest before coming to the hospital to greet our first grandchild.

I had great anticipation that morning, but I realize now I had no idea the joy this baby would bring. His first birthday invites my mind to replay many moments of wonder and awe at the special bond between grandparents and grandchildren.

It poses an interesting question: If this first year of being a grandparent was this amazing, how much more enjoyable will be the years to come? And if one grandchild is this much fun, does each successive grandbaby multiply the delight by that much more?

The journey ahead beckons, and I marvel at the blessing of being on this road of grandparenthood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Mary!
Just wanted to let you know that I "stopped by" to read your latest posts. :o) Hope you're doing well!