Saturday, October 28, 2023

Hoping for a great sunrise

 


The PET scan I had a week ago confirmed the bad news. My cancer has returned in almost the same place where it was surgically removed in June, and it's brought along a smaller buddy higher up in my right lung. 

We met with the oncologist a few days ago and agreed the best course of treatment is to try to get into a clinical trial that holds some promise for beating back leiomyosarcoma. There are a few hurdles to clear first, such as having a needle biopsy to confirm the cancer culprit's identify, even though we are 99.99% sure we know exactly who the bastard is. We've seen him before. 

But clinical trials have to follow strict protocols in order to ultimately win FDA approval for the drugs they test, so we're trying to get those T's crossed and I's dotted now so the chemo can start ASAP.

As I wait to get cleared for chemotherapy, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. It's not because of what I might say but because there is some fluid buildup in my lungs from the growing tumors and I am having trouble talking without coughing every few words right now. Good thing my strength is writing, not speaking.

Here's the part I like best -- the name of this particular clinical trial is Sunrise. How beautiful is that? I'm all for seeing many more sunrises.

I have two prayer requests, for those who are so inclined: Please pray for me to get into the clinical trial as soon as possible, and please pray for me to actually receive the new drug they are testing as well as a proven chemotherapy drug that has had some success with sarcoma. The clinical trial coordinator says two of three participants in the study will receive the new drug while one of three will get a placebo along with the already approved drug. 

I am very thankful for all who follow my blog and add me to your prayers. I wish many beautiful sunrises for you as well. 



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to send good thoughts your way, Mary.

Sue Buller said...

Mary know that you are so loved by a legion of family and friends. You are fighting this enemy with a army that will not back down.

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers. 🙏

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary, please PM me a snail mail address…for you. Lynn Yoxheimer (Eib) from our Lantern staff, worked as a Christian patient consultant to her oncologist and has written several books on cancer and faith. She’d like to send you one, given prayer seems to be an important part of your approach. Best, Ron

Anonymous said...

Thinking of good thoughts for you. Keep
Fighting!!

Anonymous said...

Love to you Mary. I will be praying you get just the weapons you need to fight this battle. You are so loved by so many ❤️‍🩹

mistertudball said...

Mary: With your permission I'd like to add you to the list of people I'll be riding for in next year's Pelotonia ... my 11th. And I pray things turn around for you pronto.

Anonymous said...

Sending endless prayers and love. 🙏🏻❤️

Anonymous said...

My dear Mary, my prayers are with you always with hope and promise that this trial, Sunrise will free your body cancer!
I love you my pal, Tass

Anonymous said...

Prayers coming your way!!🙏❤️🙏❤️

Kathy Dwyer said...

This is not the update I was hoping to read. I am sorry you have to go down this path. Please know you have my love and constant prayers.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mary- you and TC have been on our minds in the the past couple of weeks. Something was nagging at me to check in on your blog. We are so saddened by this news. You are brave, you are strong and know we are with you in prayer always. Sending good vibes, Jojo and Brian