Sunday, December 17, 2023

Blossoming

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1AHw5sbNavHn2DZrmjXy3dDWT3oBByVrG
This poor little Christmas cactus is a methaphor for my current situation. We’re both beat up and worn out but, like my cactus, I’m determined to bloom again.
The cactus was a gift years ago from my daughter’s in-laws, Walter and Mary.
It was robust when I received it and for many years after. 
Then earlier this year, about the time I started dealing with my sarcoma recurrence, I decided the cactus needed either to be tossed or given some TLC to try to bring it back.
I put it in a different planter, repotted it in new soil and moved it to brighter location in our sunroom. It’s still straggly and a bit weak but darn if it hasn’t found a way to bloom just in time for the Christmas season!
So now I’m weak and back in The James Cancer Hospital as my gardeners in oncology, surgery and radiation look at their tools to try to figure out how they can bring me back to vitality.
I was admitted on Friday after talking with my oncologist about swelling in my feet and increased trouble breathing. Tests since then have shown the cancer has grown significantly despite the clinical trial chemo drugs. 
More tests are slated to help my gardeners decide what other options we have. TC and I are relying heavily on the prayers in our tool box. 
I may not be quite ready to bloom by Christmas, but I hope to regain some energy and be able to breathe easier by then.
May you all have a beautiful week leading up to Christmas. 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all rooting for you to bloom again, Mary! Praying daily long and hard for you. Much love and virtual hugs!!! Pam Rickard

Anonymous said...

Holding you in prayer daily Mary. Prayer is powerful and so are the gifted oncologists at the James. May you have a peaceful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! Fervent Prayers for you Mary!!!! May the doctors readily find the help you need to make you well again!

Anonymous said...

Just like your cactus, you are going to bloom again.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Mary, and asking our Dear Blessed Mother to ask her Son for the miracle of your recovery πŸ™πŸ»❤️

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you and your troop!! Kick its ass and 2024 is gonna be the best one yet! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ‘

Anonymous said...

Sending warm , healing thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

Prayers prayers, prayers Mary! We are praying for your bloom!

Louie Purdy said...

Sending prayers, Mary. Hope your team of doctors can perform a Christmas miracle!

Doug Warburton said...

You will bloom again! Continued prayers from your friends at Peace.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary - I am so sorry to hear this.
Sending many healing prayers from Virginia!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to describe where you are today....you will bloom once again and need the rest...and other things the gardeners will do to keep you making your way to the bloom...

Anonymous said...

Praying and praying more!!!

Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for you . . . and TC. Stay positive and know you are loved by so many. Keep being the fierce fighter we know you are ❤️

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Louie! Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Doug. My sister recently moved back from Charleston, South Carolina, and is looking for a church. She had talked with Pam Rickard about trying Peace. I encouraged her also. I think she would like the traditional service. I will ask her to introduce herself when she visits.

Debra Mason said...

I love that little cactus and all the love and healing it symbolizes! Miracles and Medicine go hand-in-hand. Sending love and strength! You will beat this as you have in the past. I believe it.

Anonymous said...

Praying for comfort and strength for you as you keep up the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Praying for comfort and joy - I know you’re already loaded with strength and love. - Ethel

Anonymous said...

We are with you Mary, keep fighting the fight. You have brought so much love to so many. We continue to be with you in prayer, thought and spirit. Sending love, prayers and hugs from St Pete.

Anonymous said...

I know these are tough times and you know the depth and breadth of all that is occurring. Try to take some time to remember all the times you helped others at work and life and know we all are praying for you an TC. You are one of the best I ever knew.

Lynn Alexander Carden said...

Your journey is inspirational for all Mary! Thinking of you with prayers love and peace. Lynn Alexander Carden