Monday, September 21, 2009

Looking up

I will forever associate my Cancer 2.0 experience with the economy. As I was starting to deal with grim medical tests and treatments last fall and winter, the nation was gripped with fears and uncertain outlooks over the economy. My healing in recent months has been happily on track with a healthier financial prognosis. As my follow-up medical tests showed promise, so too, have signs of a strengthening economy.

Now I have seen the ultimate evidence that the recession is over, and I am hopeful that my upcoming PET scan next week will also point toward continuing recovery.

It was not the financial prognosticators who persuaded me the economy is brightening, although those experts have been espousing signs of hope. The unlikely clue was found in newspaper ads I was thumbing through. I had never seen this particular product before, but its appearance struck me as a sure sign of better times ahead. Why else would manufacturers bring such a frivolous product to market?

The harbinger of a strong economy on the horizon: motorized mascara!

The tiny wand of eyelash color had a motor at one end to vibrate the bristles, although I am not quite sure for what cosmetic benefit. How lazy would you have to be to need a motor in place of the tiny bit of wrist movement needed to brush the mascara wand just so?

The biggest benefit of this new device must be comic relief. The sheer joy of feeling cash-confident enough to throw a few dollars away on such silliness can't help but bring on a smile, if not an outright giggle. Looking good, indeed!

No comments: