Saturday, November 7, 2009

New eyes

I am seeing with new eyes this morning, and my improved vision is spiritual as much as it is physical.

The physical improvement is amazing! I visited the eye doctor yesterday and told her my sad story: I couldn't read anything close without putting on my cheater glasses. I had them deployed in strategic places -- in a half dozen places around the house, in my office and in my purse. My sunglasses even had bifocal lenses for reading. I wore my contacts only once or twice a week because they didn't help much at all.

I left the eye doctor's with new multi-focal contacts and instructions to try to go without using the cheaters while testing the lenses for the next week. What cheaters? I glanced at my watch and immediately saw I wouldn't need reading lenses over these contacts. At work, I reached for my glasses a couple of times out of habit but never needed to bring them up to my eyes.

The clarity of my new contacts is a nice metaphor for the revelations that have come with my Cancer 2.0 experience of the last year. The eye-opening was not as sudden, but I see life differently now for having faced a serious medical challenge and experienced the grace and comfort of God's love and the amazing support of family and friends to get through it.

A wonderful treat awaits me later today. A large part of my positive outlook on life these days is less about my cancer recovery than it is the tiny bundle that is my grandson. I can't wait to look into his face with my new vision!

No comments: