Sunday, October 25, 2009

Off the list

Try as we might to be humble and selfless, there is something about human nature that prompts most of us to look for our own names when any kind of list is posted, be it for bad news or good. This morning I looked as usual for my name at the end of the alphabetical prayer list in the Sunday bulletin at church and was a little surprised when it wasn't there.

I hadn't asked the church to take my name off, but I had grown increasingly uncomfortable with seeing it there. I have been feeling so healthy and strong, and all my tests lately have been good, so I had wondered if it was time to let go of that lifeline.

My mixed thoughts were similar to when my treatment for breast cancer finally ended in 1997; glad to be done with needing the treatment but also feeling a bit naked to go without it.

Being off the church's prayer list is freeing. It is another confirmation that I am well. I hope it is also an omen to others who remain on the list that their time to turn the corner to good health is coming.

No comments: