Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tea time

There's something about hot tea that is so different from its caffeinated cousin, coffee.

Coffee equates with the morning rush. Get up, gulp some coffee, get going. No time to dawdle. Time to move out and tackle the day ahead. If coffee beckons again later in the day, it is likely because of a perceived need for a wake-up boost.

Tea, for me, is all about taking a breather and slowing down. Weekend afternoons have become a favorite tea time for me. It's hard not to sit down and relax a minute with a cup of hot tea at hand.

It could have something to do with how I take my tea. With coffee, I add creamer and a bit of skim milk. They are as much to cool the coffee so I can drink it faster as they are to alter the flavor. A bit of honey or organic blue agave sweetener is all I add to my tea. I have to slow down and wait a minute to drink it -- first for the tea to steep in the hot water and then for the fragrant beverage to cool enough to sip.

Lately, I have started drinking tea at the office -- sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. Maybe it's a subconscious message to myself that I need to slow down a bit at work, too.

No comments: