Saturday, July 30, 2011

No Chemo Sabe?

What comes after my upcoming surgery? That question was on my mind this week as I kept an appointment with the oncologist who has been watching over me since my Feb. 2009 sarcoma surgery.

Back in my first encounters with this physician, he scared me with talk of inpatient chemo as a means to keep a recurrence at bay. We settled then on close surveillance with no follow-up chemo, in part because I had just endured four months of chemo. Now I was wondering if he was going to sugggest inpatient chemo again after my Aug. 4 surgery.

He surprised me by saying we might opt again for close surveillance, and the reason was something I hadn't considered. Turns out some chemos carry lifetime maximums. Apparently the drugs I received in 1996-97 with breast cancer and the course in 2008-09 for sarcoma -- involving four of the most effective chemo drugs still in use -- aren't recommended to be taken repeatedly.

Follow-up treatment decisions won't be made until I see the oncologist again in September and we have biopsy results from the surgery. So now my feelings are mixed -- part relief that he is considering no chemo, and part dismay that my treatment options are limited.

Funny how you suddenly think you want something -- even as unpleasant as chemo -- as soon as someone suggests maybe you can't have it!

4 comments:

jeanette m said...

the blog is helpful as we pray for strength for you and your family! those grand angels need you (as we all do)! will be sending good thoughts your way

Mary said...

Thanks, Jeanette!

Ron said...

Hi Mary,
I always love to read your blogs, but then am reminded that there is never a good reason for prompting ou to write them. And here we thought that our 'good looks and charm' would make life easy, huh
:-). Oh well. Whenever I read your blogs, I always wonder how I am so lucky to actually know this absolutely fabulous person. "The Father" created this most special person, Jesus surely laid his hand on your head and kissed your cheek; and the Holy Spirit, well, He (or maybe She) stays with you every single second. You love Them very much, just as They love you. You are going to be just fine. There's an old saying that says that "I have had many crises in my life, most of which have never occurred." You have strong faith, and are blessed with what seems to be thousands of true friends. Kinda puts all of those other little 'crises' in perspective, doesn't it. You'll be just fine. We will all be praying for you Thursday, and you are often in my thoughts. It was a real treat to see you again at the OHA Convention.
So.... very best wishes, my dear friend. Hope you have a quick recovery. Take care, Mary
Ron Hitzler

Mary said...

Best to you also, Ron. Thanks for the nice comments.