Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pennies from heaven

See a penny; pick it up. All that day you'll have good luck.

I am an incorrigible penny-picker-upper. It makes me smile to find money on the ground, even in that smallest denomination, because I view it as a good luck symbol. It's part of my optimist nature, but it's even more than that: I choose to look for signs that life is good and to indulge myself in a smile when I see them.

A year or so ago, I decided I needed another harbinger of good luck and settled on stray bobby pins. I refrain from picking them up, but spying one on the floor of a parking garage or sidewalk or in a locker room shower at the gym gives me the same little lift as a found penny. "It's going to be a good day," I promise myself.

Not finding a penny or not seeing a forgotten bobby pin on the ground doesn't make it a bad day. It's the expectation of good fortune that sets my outlook. I try to start out every day fully intending to experience God's blessings in my life. Lucky charms that cross my path are just my personal reminders that life is good.

No comments: