Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolved

I think we've got this New Year's resolutions thing backwards. By making resolutions at the beginning of the year, it's like we slap our worst flaws on a neon sign and then announce to the world what we are likely to fail at in the coming year.

If you are really committed to doing whatever it is that you "resolve" to do in the new year, wouldn't you have done it already? And if something really is a resolution, doesn't that word mean a problem has already been fixed?

Instead, as one year winds down and we plow toward the next, we continue the bad behaviors and problem habits that we swear we're going to address as we flip the calendar over.

My New Year's Day thoughts played with this notion yesterday. What if we instead celebrate the fresh new calendar by acknowledging our successes of the previous year? Wouldn't that give us extra momentum to deal with our shortcomings throughout the year so that we really will have new victories to hail with the new year?

For me, 2010 begins with a celebration of the challenge from 2008 and 2009 that has been resolved -- my Cancer 2.0. With that behind me, the possibilities of this coming year are endless.

1 comment:

Kathy Dwyer said...

I love this idea! I am participating with the taping of radio talkshow tomorrow, From the Inside Out, and the topic is gratefulness. I would love to share this idea there.