Saturday, January 16, 2010

Rallying the troops

The farther each day carries me from my surgery last February, the harder it is to remember my ordeal with Cancer 2.0. It is a wonderful blessing, but I really don't want to forget what I went through, and I especially don't want to let down my guard against a recurrence.

That is why I like to take time every day to focus inward to keep my defenses strong and ready. I lay quietly with my hands on my abdomen, directing energy to the area where the tumor sprouted and grew in the fall of 2008. Then I picture myself standing tall as an army general, Patton-like, calling my troops to battle. My mantra goes something like this:

"Attention: Anti-cancer cells! Cancer-fighting crusaders! Pick-axing angels! Your assignment, now and forever, is to seek out and destroy any and all cancer cells in my body.

"Do not let them multiply! Do not let them establish a foothold or gain any ground. Find them wherever they may be, and kill them on contact. Take no prisoners, but destroy them immediately!

"Is that clear? Alright. Now go! Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!"

Some people believe there really is power and healing in how we direct our thoughts. I don't need scientific proof to know this regular reveille helps maintain my outlook that the cancer won't return.

No comments: