Monday, September 5, 2011

What not to wear

I finally accomplished something I have been wanting to do for months -- purging my closet of things I don't wear and, more importantly, shouldn't wear.

It has taken me way too long to come to grips with what looks good on me and what doesn't. Earlier this year I started paying more attention to necklines I feel better in and identifying the styles that just don't work; noting what pant lines flatter and which don't. I still don't have my optimal color palette worked out, but I'm getting closer.

To finish the job, I hauled everything out of the closet yesterday and promised myself only those items I feel good in would be returned to the hangers and shelves.  Some I knew as I took them out wouldn't be going back in. Some items I had to try on again and still debated their future.

About 100 pieces didn't make the cut. Many of the pants, tops, skirts and suits got good use, even though they were not my most flattering styles. A few were barely worn and probably shouldn't have been bought in the first place. Hopefully they will be just right for someone else. I know some good charities that will be happy to help find them a new home.

Next goal is to apply this same discipline to other parts of my life. Life is too precious to squander by doing or thinking or saying things that don't reflect well on me.

No comments: