Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gym dandy

My surgical sabbatical is fully over now. The final sign I was back to normal following the removal of Cancer 2.1 came with my return to regular, early morning workouts. If I thought I was going to ease into it, all I had to do was glance at my long-time gym buddy for inspiration.

Rosalie and I share more than our gym visits. We are work colleagues whose offices are adjacent. We are both in our late 50s -- at least until her milestone birthday in December! And we are both cancer survivors who have faced recurrences with great success.

There was no way I could wimp out on returning to our workouts, knowing Rosalie would be right there beside me despite the chemo treatments she has been undergoing since mid-summer. I had quit our morning routines during my chemo treatment in late 2008 and early 2009, but Rosalie has kept right on, bald-headed and determined.

She was the first one I told about Cancer 2.1.  She was in the hospital dealing with her own recurrence that morning in late July when my oncologist told me my latest CT scan showed a suspected new tumor. With her trademark sunny disposition and positive outlook, she comforted me with confident predictions for a quick return to good health.

Rosalie's treatment results have been wonderful and her outlook is as cheery as ever. It's easier to drag myself out of bed at 5 a.m., knowing she will be waiting. And if I don't show at the gym, I will still have to pass her office later at work. I couldn't have a better reason to exercise!

1 comment:

Ron said...

Great news for you!!!! Yippee!! Now, maybe you'll inspsire ME to get back to the Gym.
I have a very dear friend named Rosalie. She's 79, and I've known Rosalie since I was 14, which would be 51 years now - WOW. Rosalie has had to deal with many physical nightmares too - but always has the most positive attitude, is far more active these days than me, loves everyone and is loved by everyone too. If you could see her she looks no older than a 'young' 60s. Rosalie is a most beautiful name and it almost sounds like singing a song when you say it. It is not a common name, and I think that God just keeps it reserved to bestow on those very special and beutiful persons (sounds like the Rosalie's that we both know are surely two of them.) And I haven't forgotten that "Mary" was His mother's name too - I think that He bestows that name on his most special persons too.
Ron