Sunday, October 16, 2011

Did you hear the one about....?

My grandson Dodge has been telling me the funniest joke. It's funny because he is not quite 27 months old and has only been talking about a month, but he went from just a few words to telling his first joke in no time at all.

It started one day when he was visiting and there had been rain with thunder, so he had quickly learned a new word. We talked about how thunder goes "boom!" and he enjoyed saying it with gusto. The next time I saw him, rain was nowhere in the forecast, but he looked at me with the orneriest grin and pronounced, "Hear funder, boom!"

Of course that made me quickly exclaim, "There's no thunder!" And that sent us both into a burst of giggles at the funny joke he had made with grandma.

My surprise at his new display of humor made the joke that much funnier. I had figured it would be another year or so before his talking progressed to the joke-telling stage. The inevitable knock-knock jokes can't be far off now, and they will be the funniest jokes I have ever heard.

1 comment:

mandy said...

He's got a new joke already. We'll have to see if he remembers enough to tell it again.