Sunday, August 23, 2009

Advancing nicely

This past week was a wonderful milepost that, at times, I wasn't sure I would reach. It was the annual retreat of the OHA Board, and last year's retreat was one of the last big events I enjoyed before discovering my Cancer 2.0.

The retreat is a busy combination of meetings, golf and business socializing in a beautiful setting away from home. Last year I started the days with 6 a.m. workouts in the hotel gym with one of our Board members and kept going through late-night group dinners. Throughout my treatment of the past year, the retreat was a target I was working to reach. My goal was to not only get there but engage in all the activities I enjoyed before, especially the golf!

So, even though waking up at 5:30 to be in the gym by 6 a.m. was tough in the resort setting, it felt great to be following that same action-packed routine. The biggest difference I encountered was a surprise, but I view it as a positive sign of my healthier lifestyle today. After two days of late-night dining with richer food and heavier lunches, I felt awful. My body was accustomed to healthier, more nutritious eating and did not like the change. It was a good reminder that how we fuel our bodies is important.

Years ago OHA had a Board chair who objected to calling this annual event a "retreat" because he didn't like the idea of falling back. During his term, we called it the Advance. This year, the retreat certainly was an advance for me!

No comments: