Saturday, August 1, 2009

Suspicious

Why is it that the word "suspicious" is almost always used in a foreboding sense? We even call bad guys "suspects" before it is proven they have done anything wrong. Is it because we tend to expect the bad instead of the good?

I am keeping a positive outlook on my continuing recovery from Cancer 2.0, but that word -- suspicious -- was the lone raincloud in an otherwise sunny report yesterday from my latest CT scan on Thursday. There is a suspicious new spot on my liver that will get a closer look in a few days with a CT-guided needle biopsy.

On the upside, the doctors had been watching a small shadow on one lung that showed up in my previous CT scan in May. It was not even enough to be labeled suspicious then and there was no sign of it in this latest report, so that was good news.

For now, I am concentrating on suspecting another good outcome when they look closer at my liver. Mentally, I am rounding up the cancer-fighting cells in my body and dispatching them to my liver to seek out and kill any suspects they may find there; it is take-no-prisoners time.

No comments: