Friday, December 25, 2009

Merriest Christmas!

The presents are still unopened under the tree but this is already the best Christmas yet. The blessing of my own good health is an amazing gift. But God gives more than we can ever hope to receive, as we are reminded every day with the richness our grandson has added to our lives.

Tom and I didn't just sit and play with our own children the way we do with this grandbaby. There is a twinge of sadness with that realization, but that is part of what makes being grandparents so special. We get another chance to love and adore and appreciate this little person in ways that we were too busy or too inexperienced to do with Mandy and Ben.

As I finished wrapping presents yesterday, more than once my mind wandered back to last Christmas. A year ago I was still undergoing chemotherapy but the tumor in my belly was growing again and I was looking forward to surgery as the only way to effectively attack my Cancer 2.0. My prayer then was to get the tumor out and recover enough to help Mandy take care of the baby she was due to deliver in July.

As I tried last year to look ahead to this Christmas, I thought the most I could hope for was to not have a recurrence of cancer by now. In my darkest moments, I wondered if I would even see this Christmas.

On this day of Christ's birth, my prayers have been more than answered.

No comments: