Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Monday!

Monday is one of my most dreaded days, and one of my favorite days, all rolled into one.

The dread is for the same reasons many of us are not fond of Monday. It is the return to work; an abrupt halt to the weekend's pleasurable pursuits; going from what I want to do to what I have to do. And most Mondays mean lots of time spent in meetings that usually don't feel very productive. Meetings to organize the work week; meetings to catch up with on-going projects; meetings for the sake of meeting it seems.

Then, coming just when I need a break, is my Monday evening golf league! It is a sweet reward for having endured the merry-go-round of Monday meeting mania. Leaving the office a tad earlier than usual -- in contrast to all the days I am there past quitting time -- I break free and am suddenly outside in the sunshine, with green grass and fresh air all around.

The pleasure I get from golf is highly disproportionate to the skill I display. I should be much better for how much I love it. You can't be very good at golf when you usually play only nine holes a week, with an occasional spurt of a couple of full rounds a week on vacation or during a work retreat at a golf resort. Even so, my game was helped by our June vacation to Mississippi. My son and sister fixed my grip -- making it more of a golf swing than a remnant of my years growing up with a baseball bat in my hands.

My guide for a decent round over the years has been to shoot my age for nine holes. It was a decent target before I turned 50 but now isn't much to brag about. Last week I shot just under my age! I can't turn back the clock, but maybe I can continue taking strokes off my game.

No comments: