Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Transitions

We had a wonderful visit from my son last week, but I was surprised by the emotions that surfaced after he left. Ben won't be here for Christmas, so we tried to start decorating the house to give him a bit of a feel for having been home for the holiday. We got as far as the outside lights and putting the tree up inside -- but without all the ornaments on it -- before he had to leave on Saturday morning.

There was something about saying goodbye to him, and then having our grandson here on Saturday evening, that underscored the feelings washing over me. Wasn't Ben just the baby boy in my arms the other day? How did those years pass so quickly?

The roller coaster continued on Sunday as I finally got the rest of the decorations up, including the 1984 bulb commemorating Ben's first Christmas and some ornaments he made for me over the years. My thoughts tripped back and forth from being so thankful he is happy and doing well in the South to knowing it will be tough not having him here with us on Christmas morning. My heart went out to other mothers who have lost their sons; mine is only a few states away.

I keep thinking about the e-mail Ben sent when he arrived safely back in Mississippi, and about the conversation I had with him later on Saturday night. It was good to know he enjoyed his visit home, but that he was happy to be back where he has been living since March and where he is enjoying a new relationship with a special young woman. His e-mail subject line said it all: "I'm home!" Yes, he is.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Mary, I feel your pain. I still have no decorations up, and think back to last year Sam coming to California to help me decorate and be home for Christmas. She is staying in Cleveland (or going to Michigan to be with her boyfriend) I just finished saying I was jealous of his mom getting to have Christmas with my daughter; she should be here with me. It is sad, but like you said at the end of this post… they are home where they belong, and only states away. Again thanks for the perspective of real life. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Mandy said...

Aww, this was sweet and made me a little sad.

Thank goodness I'm just going to keep squishing Dodge back down so he'll never get big and move away!