Friday, May 26, 2023

Bring on the robots!

If fully independent robots can put a passable version of the iconic Mona Lisa in the foam topping a cappuccino, surely a human-guided robot can successfully excise the cancer that has once again taken up residence in my body. Right?


TC and I were a bit early on Wednesday for my appointment with the oncologist at the OSU James Cancer Center, so we couldn't resist giving the BistrOH! RoboJo animated coffee bar in the lobby a try before heading upstairs to see my doctor.

It was pretty incredible to see the machine behind the glass prepare coffee after coffee, sliding each completed custom order into a numbered slot accessible to customers who watched a video screen to follow the progress on their particular beverage. 

When the order screen asked TC what image should be used to mark his order, we both figured it was to put an identifier on the to-go cup, not in the cappuccino foam itself. Whoa!

But even that was not the most impressive part of our visit. 

Much better was what we heard from the doctor -- that the results he saw in the full-body PET scan I had earlier this month were the best we could have expected. This was the official pronouncement that the scan showed no new sites of concern. 

I had some trepidation before the appointment that the oncologist and surgeon might clash in their recommendations for my care, but those fears were also put to rest. The oncologist fully supports taking the sucker out ASAP, so we continue marching toward my June 9 date in the surgery suite. 

One downside is that he also recommends follow-up chemotherapy, but I'll do whatever it takes to fight this battle to victory. And if the long hair that took a few years to grow to its current length past my shoulders is part of the price, at least I still have my two wigs from earlier bouts. 

Pre-surgery tests on June 2 will tell whether the surgeon will be able to do the robotic surgery that he and I both prefer or if it will have to be a more open, hands-on operation to navigate safely past my heart. 

I'm taking the RoboJo coffee performance as an omen that more robots are in my future. 


10 comments:

Sue Buller said...

Onward march to victory !

Anonymous said...

Sending continued prayers and good vibes as you propel forward with encouraging news. The signs continue to pave the way for hope. Keeping the faith! 🙏🏻❤️🤗

Anonymous said...

What encouraging, good news Mary!! Many thoughts, prayers and healing energy for you 💗

Anonymous said...

Good to hear about the pet scan. It's good to feel some positively going into surgery.

Tassie said...

All such good news 🙏🏻🙏🏻 so thankful and praying for robot surgery June 9th!

Anonymous said...

Prayers Mary, I love reading your blog. You are a strong women,

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary!!! Such good news! Hoping and praying for continued victories in this fight. Every single win is so important. Keep fighting girl . . . you are unstoppable ❤️❤️❤️

Anonymous said...

Mary, I’m glad to read that you’re all set for a complete treatment plan leading to full recovery. Continued prayers, love and energy being sent to you and TC.

Anonymous said...

You’ve got this Mary!! Love hugs and prayers coming for you from me and my Bible Study group!!

Anonymous said...

All good stuff in this blog . . . That is a trend I fully support!! Keep positive-you have every reason to feel the heal!!!!