Thursday, October 30, 2008

Converging

My husband is a great student of the Civil War, especially Gettysburg. I have learned a little from him about the battle in that Pennsyvania town, and it gives me an image about my own cancer battle.

There are something like 10 different roads that lead to Gettysburg, which is part of what caused it to become a great battle site. Similarly, I have been thinking about all the roads that have brought me to where I am. These roads include the effort I have made in recent years to improve my physical health; the great network of family, friends and co-workers I have been able to build through the years; growth in my spiritual well-being; the maturity of my family; the great confidence I have developed in my professional team, even the experience I gained from Cancer 1.0 12 years ago.

When I put all these things together, I feel about as well-prepared as I ever could be for this fight. Gettysburg didn't invite the battle 145 years ago, but it survived. I will, too!

No comments: