Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's not all bad

One thing about being in a battle with cancer is how it changes your priorities. And it's not all bad.

I have tried to ask myself what I would be fretting over these days, what I would have been focused on about now, if I weren't centered on this health issue. I am certain some of whatever would have been catching my attention would have been trivial compared with my keener perspective today. Seeing through the filter of this battle helps to clarify what is important and keeps me more appreciative of what is good and right with the world. When I am feeling good, I am ready to celebrate it.

A friend called this morning to say a lunch we had planned for tomorrow would have to be rescheduled. OK, I responded, how about today? And, thankfully, we were able to move our lunch up a day. It wasn't until we were talking later at lunch that she pointed out my seize-the-moment response was a bit out of character. True, but now I have a stronger sense of what's important.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful, grace-filled blog! Thank you so much for doing this. It is an inspiration. Know that you are surrounded by prayers, love, and support.

Kathy Dwyer

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and progress. Please know that I am sending hugs, prayers and good wishes to you.

It has been 12 years since I spent a Mother's Day weekend with the Mock Flock. That time was very important to me and I am so glad I was able to share it with you and meet more of the family. Sometimes it's nice to focus on what's really important and let this other crazy stuff go.

Thanks again for sharing. Lots of love- Dana Matthews

Mandy said...

I agree. It definitely helps a person readjust their focus in life.

I've said it so many times to others, but I don't know if I've actually told you: Your amazing attitude and good spirit are such an inspiration. I think I complained more about having blood drawn the other day than you have throughout this whole process. You are my hero.

Love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

I know last Sunday you were feeling a little hesitant about blogging your updates, but with all the uplifting messages and prayers you're receiving, you must surely know by now that it was an excellent idea.

As I read your messages and subsequent comments, I find myself experiencing tears, gratitude for all the prayers and support you're receiving and, like Mandy, the true meaning of inspiration.

I am certain that your spiritual strength and support, along with all the prayers and love of our family and your multitude of close friends, church family, coworkers and business acqaintances (each of us having been inspired by you at one time or another...or many times) will bring you sailing through this battle, much like the battle you won 12 years ago.

With much love and many prayers,
Annie

Anonymous said...

i've never met you, but you are my hero.

i came to this site through mandy, whom i used to work with at ACN!

so glad to hear you share. you'll be in our thoughts and prayers!