Friday, June 5, 2009

Hugs

I have always been somewhat reserved when it comes to showing affection, but that has changed. My hug trigger has been reset to a new low threshold.

I attribute my new quickness to embrace to the medical battle I have fought since last fall. There is something about the physical connection of a hug that seems so life-affirming to me now. It says without words, "I'm here. You're here. We're both still alive and kicking."

In recent months I have found myself hugging people in church, colleagues at work, friends I run into on the street without hesitation, and then thinking afterward how nice it was, and how unlike me it was. Suddenly I am initiating the contact, and it feels so right.

Every now and then -- especially with family members who have never known me to be overly affectionate -- I fall back into my reserved ways. It's funny how not hugging now makes me feel more awkward than going with my new tendency.

I can't make up for all the potential hugs I shied away from in the past, but there will be a lot fewer missed opportunities going forward. Especially in these times of fist bumps and over-emphasis on protecting ourselves from stray germs, we can all use a few more good hugs.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Please don't hesitate anymore to hug your family members. Your hugs, especially now that they're more frequent and heartfelt, are very, very special!

Love you & love your hugs!
Annie