Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'm back!

With apologies to regular readers of this blog for my recent absence, I am happy to report I am back in full force and on many levels. My vacation of this past week restored me in many ways.

The respite from work was more needed than I realized. Things had been nonstop since my first day back from surgery, and they still hadn't slowed when I skipped town. I felt bad for leaving some projects, but an occasional check of my e-mail assured me work was progressing without me. I was finally able to unplug enough to relax.

Being able to spend time with my son and to see how he has acclimated to living and working on the Gulf Coast with my sister and her husband was especially uplifting. Tom remarked several times at how Ben has matured in his new environment. We celebrated his 25th birthday, knowing his future is bright.

This vacation also allowed me to fill in the last piece that had been missing from my physical recovery -- exercise! Joy and I started walking and jogging in the mornings, and yesterday I returned to the gym for the first time since Cancer 2.0 interfered last September. It was great to be back!

Going forward, I have new guidance for good health in an amazing book a friend gave me. Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life, is written by a physician who has gone through two bouts with brain cancer. I was afraid to pick it up as bedtime reading. I needed to sit by the pool in the sun before I was mentally ready to open this book. I haven't quite finished it, but I have read enough to commit to changing my diet and my thinking for the better. This is one of those books I will encourage everyone I know to read for their own good health.

With good rest, good times with family, and good counsel for good health, I am ready to move forward and celebrate my many blessings.

No comments: