Monday, June 29, 2009

Digging deeper

I'm heading back to work this morning with a determination not to let it become a return to routine. I want to hold onto an important lesson from my week off: I can control how I experience my life, and it is important to live every day with gusto.

The profound book I read while on vacation, Anti-cancer, A New Way of Life, is a wonderful blueprint for living every day with purpose. Author David Servan-Schreiber is both a physician and a two-time cancer survivor who has pulled together and translated a wealth of research for living healthier for all of us, not just cancer patients. He looks at our environment, the food we eat, the benefits of physical activity and how we see our world.

He describes how an experience with cancer can put a new filter on your vision. If we're lucky, we use that filter to see the colors of our lives more deeply and to take greater joy in simple pleasures; we live more fully in the present.

There are many ways to cultivate a positive outlook. One of the best reasons for staying positive every day is that it is an important ingredient in building and maintaining an anti-cancer life.

No comments: