Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Even better!

There is a blood test that the surgeon who treated my breast cancer years ago calls a tumor marker. I have learned from her that the test is non-specific, but it can be an indicator of something that needs a closer look.

When Cancer 2.0 appeared last fall, the results of that test -- officially known as CA 125 -- had spiked from the level of 5 or 6 that it typically followed in the years after my breast cancer to as much as 48. It had drifted back down to 8 while I underwent chemo late last year, and that was the last report I had received.

It was with some hesitation that I asked my OSU oncologist on Friday if CA 125 was one of the tests he had requested for me. It wasn't, but he offered to order it immediately. Having just received the great news that my latest CT scans were negative, I didn't want to push my luck. But I also didn't want to harbor any lingering doubts, so I consented to the test and headed off to have more blood drawn.

The game of golf has taught me that low numbers are good. I was able to take a few strokes off my latest score in last night's golf league, but that outcome wasn't nearly as sweet as the result we got yesterday from the CA 125 test -- it was a 5!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Yay! I am so grateful to keep hearing all this good news!

Sherry said...

This is such great news. Now I hope you can relax and concentrate on being a grandma.

Sherry