Friday, June 19, 2009

Unplug me!

What's wrong with this picture? I am at my sister's beautiful home on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, visiting with her, my brother-in-law and our son, and I continue to check e-mail and participate in conference calls for work.

I am having trouble unplugging from the office and embracing vacation, and I fear it will continue at least through today. Thank goodness it is Friday and those back in Columbus will have the sense to at least take the weekend off.

Maybe someone should pry my fingers off my cell phone and drag me out to the pool, where the sun can relax my tense brain and coax me into vacation mode. Hearing the pleasant water sounds might force me to turn off the voices that keep asking if I need to call the office. They know how to get in touch with me if I am desperately needed, which I won't be; they are all plenty capable on their own.

I need to remind myself that R&R is as much mental as physical; that I need to take time to re-energize not only my body but also my mind and soul. And you can't do that with a Blackberry in hand.

1 comment:

Kathy Dwyer said...

Unfortunately, I know just how hard that is! Put the Blackberry in your suitcase!