Friday, June 12, 2009

Re-adjusting the scales

It's a sure sign of how crazy busy I've been when I realize the end of the week is here and I haven't updated this blog since Sunday. Too many early-morning meetings have crowded into my schedule, following too many long days in the office with too many to-dos not yet crossed off the list.

Pressure is building at work as we continue to fight political battles in the state budget process and prepare for three days of our annual meeting next week. There have been moments I even feared work obligations will prevent me from getting on a plane with Tom the morning after the annual meeting ends to spend a long-awaited vacation week in Biloxi.

But this vacation is too important to delay. We'll celebrate Ben's birthday and have a chance to see for ourselves how well he has acclimated to living and working on the Gulf Coast. I will also celebrate time off work not necessitated by medical issues -- something that hasn't happened since last fall.

There were moments during my six weeks' recuperation from surgery that I questioned whether I was really needed at the office; things seemed to be getting done fine without me. Once I was back, it didn't take long for me to work myself into believing my role is indispensable. That, more than anything, is reason to take vacation time away next week. It's time for a work-life balance reality check!

No comments: