Thursday, August 18, 2011

Impatient

I'm not very good at recuperation.

I do fine at sleeping in, but then I fight with myself the rest of the day. It is so foreign for me to take it easy that I naturally default to doing too much -- either by being on my feet longer than I should or even sitting at the computer too long. Then I wonder why I am achy and tired by afternoon.

And when I do finally make myself lie down again, I take guilt to bed with me. Ought I really be resting? Should I push through the aches to get stronger? Must I get back to the office, or even to the gym?

Then I try to remind myself: It's only been two weeks since I had major abdominal surgery!

I was blessed with being in good shape going into my surgery, and I have been blessed with a good recovery so far. Now all I need is a little patience to let the healing continue.

No comments: