Monday, August 22, 2011

Rejuvenating

For reasons maybe more psychological than I might admit, I felt compelled the day before my surgery to sharply cut back my out-of-control wave petunias. They had grown way out of their containers on my deck, losing some of their beauty as they turned too long and leggy.

I approached the petunias with pruners and faith. I knew from past experience they would grow back, even if they looked ugly for a little while. I pruned with zeal, and silently prayed that my surgeon would exercise more wisdom and restraint in his work the next morning.

In my first days back home from the hospital, my petunias and I were in similar states of recuperation. The promise of better health was there, but we were still feeling the effects of sharp blades.

Our progress continues to track each other. I am feeling stronger, and "normal" doesn't feel so distant. And my petunias, while not as robust as they once were, are definitely gaining strength as well.

No comments: