Sunday, August 14, 2011

Naval attack!

The doctors are usually pretty good about documenting every little thing they've done in the surgeries I've had, but they missed something this last time. In addition to cutting out a tumor and snipping out a little of my small intestine, they forgot to mention they had also performed a belly button removal!

I didn't even know my belly button was missing until I removed the steri-strip bandages across my incision today. Maybe the doctors didn't realize either, but it is nowhere to be seen.

Not that it ever got to be seen much anyway. Most of my belly-button-baring in recent years has been restricted to sunbathing by myself at home, or in trips to Buckeye Lake and Las Vegas. As for future sunbathing, I figure a naval-less tummy won't be the wierdest thing to be seen either at Buckeye Lake or in Las Vegas.

I might need a good story for the grandkids, though. Kids tend to be fascinated with belly buttons anyway. I keep picturing some future boat trip when I'll decide it's OK to wear a two-piece bathing suit because it's just family. And suddenly little Dodge or Logan will fix eyes on my belly and say, "Grandma, what happened to your beeboo?"

My answer will be simple. "I had some really great doctors who wanted to make sure I was here with you!"

No comments: