Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Call me Curly

There's something liberating about going away for a few days and coming back with a new look. In my case, it is my newly regrown short, curly hair. Just as winter was a good time to have wigs warming my scalp left bare by chemo, summer is a great time to sport my still-short regrowth.

I tested the look in the safety of family and strangers while visiting my son, sister and brother-in-law last week. It still needed some work when I returned home. My daughter and another sister encouraged me to try some hair paste to give it a bit more body.

In church on Sunday -- a place where I always receive encouragement -- several people commented favorably on the new do, giving me the confidence to go wigless to work the past two days. More compliments greeted me at the office.

The big test was last night when I gathered with dear friends from high school for a girls' night out. Their smiles and hugs were all the more approval I needed to put my wigs back on the closet shelf.

I have enjoyed my wigs for the past eight months but it's nice to have my own hair back again. The short curls may not be my most-desired look, but they are another nice reminder of the good direction my life is headed.

1 comment:

James Breiner said...

Dear Curly, I was sorry to learn about your cancer and the pain, discomfort and anxiety you have had to endure.
Please know that you have the best wishes of all your friends to help you through this.
Jim Breiner, from Mexico