Saturday, July 4, 2009

Freedom

What are you celebrating on this Independence Day? For me, freedom is another way to view my many blessings against the backdrop of this past year.

Last year's 4th of July was not especially remarkable, I hate to admit. I'm sure there was some sort of celebration and family get-together, but I had lost that edge of being thankful and appreciative for the big as well as the little things, that edge that being a cancer survivor gives you.

My view of freedom today is sharper. The freedoms I am celebrating include not only our amazing civil liberties but also the freedom to seek and find great medical care, the freedom to travel for second opinions, even the freedom to share my cancer experience in this blog.

Looking ahead, I anticipate celebrating many more freedoms in the coming year. At the top of the list will be freedom to spoil a new grandchild silly, freedom to pursue my health with new vigor and freedom to live my life with new fullness and purpose.

Living in appreciation of our blessings may be the best way to celebrate freedom every day.

No comments: