Monday, July 13, 2009

High expectations

Yesterday was the date Mandy had calculated as her due date, and her baby stayed stubbornly in her womb. Tomorrow is the doctor's estimated delivery date, but it is not likely the baby will come then, either. At her weekly appointment on Friday, the doctor told Mandy there had been no progress toward delivery since the week before.

I know this is not an easy time for Mandy but I am absolutely blissful. It is not only the excitement of expecting my first grandchild. My high spirits are also due to my amazingly strong state of health.

It wasn't so long ago that I wondered if I would be well enough to even hold my grandchild at this point. There were times I contemplated being in the hospital concurrently with Mandy -- me receiving follow-up chemotherapy while she delivered her baby.

The vigor I feel now is incredible. The healing I have experienced is a miracle; running a close second to the miracle of birth. The circumstances of this past year make me all the more determined to carefully nurture this wonderful machine that is my body -- not just for me but also so I can fulfill my duties as a grandma!

No comments: