Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lots to smile about

The week ahead will be special.

Ben will be home for a few days to attend my niece's wedding next Saturday. I have the great honor of doing a reading at the wedding. Our grandson's paternal grandmother will be visiting from Texas.

Last, and I hope not the very least of all, I will have my next round of CT scans. If there are no signs of cancer recurrence when I see the doctor on Friday, he will extend the CT scans from two-month intervals to three months apart.

I have no reason to expect anything but a positive outcome. I feel as healthy and almost as strong as I did a year ago. Getting back to the gym a couple mornings a week these past two weeks has been a nice high point of my recovery. But for my short curls and the scar up my tummy, there are few reminders of my cancer ordeal in my daily routines now.

It will be wonderful to gather next Saturday to celebrate Lauren's wedding and welcome Ryan to our family. I will proudly carry my grandma's book of photos of baby Dodge, and I will wear the smile of a thankful cancer survivor.

No comments: