Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gym dandy

It is strange to wake up with sore arm pits, and to smile about it, but that is my situation this morning. The soreness is pleasant because it is a souvenir of my overdue return to the gym.

The tiny ache at the corners of my chest remind me of the bench presses I did yesterday morning. The weights I used were half what I had hoisted easily before my battle with Cancer 2.0 -- just five pounds on each end of the heavy bar. And the repetitions I did were far fewer. But at least I was back!

My gym buddy from work had also gotten out of the morning exercise habit during my hiatus as she dealt with an injury that also sidelined her for a while. Now she has recommitted with me to renew our workouts. As with any challenge, tackling this with a partner makes it a little easier to accomplish. We made it to the gym one day last week, committed to three days this week and should soon be back to our five-day practice.

I am returning to the gym with extra resolve. In the Anti-Cancer book that I have become such a fan of this summer, regular exercise is noted as a key health strategy. Lifting weights is lifting me up as well!

No comments: