Thursday, May 14, 2009

Forward!

A wonderful surprise arrived in the mail at work yesterday and put a smile on my face the rest of the day. It came from a former colleague with whom I have reconnected as both of us have battled cancer in recent months.

The unexpected gift was a beautiful beaded bracelet with little green frogs on two of the beads. It was the frogs that caused me first to gasp in delight and then to grin whenever I looked down at my wrist throughout the day. When I called to say thanks, I learned my friend's wife makes the frog bracelets to encourage cancer patients.

Why frogs? My friend had told me earlier that the cancer clinic where he receives his treatment in another state has a frog as its mascot. Also a former journalist, of course he had to ask what frogs had to do with cancer treatment.

The answer is inspiring: Frogs can't jump backwards; they only go forward. And so, too, must those of us who fight cancer.

No comments: