Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorials worth celebrating

I love it when the gift of a day like today -- set aside to celebrate and remember those who fought for our freedom -- arrives exactly when I need it most.

Work has been unbelievably busy, and it will continue at hyper-speed at least through our annual meeting in mid-June. Weekends have provided no real respite, with fun-but-tiring family events on the calendar the past two weeks. If today had been another work day, I would have been dragging myself through it.

Instead, I am delighting in the promise of a free day with no obligations other than those I choose to make on myself. The possibilities include putting some touch-up paint on my garden gnomes and cleaning up the edges of my flower beds to ready them for mulch. The day is all the sweeter because of those dark nights this past winter when I sometimes laid awake and wondered if I would be up to gardening this spring.

My celebration today is for many freedoms. I am thankful for those who have fought our country's wars, and I am thankful for my own victories over cancer.

No comments: