Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New normal

It's a sure sign that things have returned to normal when you pass a milestone without even realizing it. Yesterday marked three-months since my surgery, and the significance didn't even occur to me until this morning.

That's not to say that I went through the entire day without ever thinking about cancer or what I've been through. It is more a reflection of how my awareness of cancer and its constant presence in the background have become part of my life. I no longer regard the scar that divides my abdomen as some alien intruder. It is part of who I am and will be going forward.

I can see beauty now as the scar reminds me of the miracle of healing. I know I am stronger and more grateful for the everyday blessings of life because of the threats I had to face.

I hope my husband will excuse me for this analogy, but I can't help thinking that it is kind of like when you have been married for a while and one day you realize your identity has become meshed with that of your spouse. You no longer mark every milestone in awe; it's just who you are, and that's a good thing.

No comments: