Sunday, February 8, 2009

Whose will?

Sometimes I struggle with what I should be praying for, but it has become clearer in recent weeks. My prayer is for God's will to work in my life, bringing me closer to His plan for me.

I haven't always been comfortable praying for God's will. My reservations have been mostly because I was afraid that path would be most difficult, or I didn't know where the path would lead and I was afraid to head into uncharted territory. My comfort has grown, though, with all the experiences that have brought me to where I am today.

Certainly, not everything that happens in life is God's will. More often than not, we get in the way and mess things up, or we hesitate to follow. But increasingly I have learned it is better to seek God's will for our lives because the rewards of trying to follow His teachings are greater than we can imagine. His plan for my life is more perfect than anything I can devise.

I am praying for a successful surgery on Thursday and to recover my health, but not just for the sake of returning to life as I knew it before Cancer 2.0. My prayer is to continue seeking to live into God's will for my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
My thoughts and prayers are with you this evening and I will continue,with a special time to be with you in prayer; and spirt on Thursday.I can not think of a better family to be apart of than the "Mock Flock" and the "Yost Clan"when fighting adversity or celebrating the joys of life. However, I want you to know that a support system of prayer warriors are behind you in this battle. I have sent your Blog to Edna Ridenbaugh and Laura Atherton, They are 2 women who share in the sisterhood of cancer survivors, both in recovery and remission. I spoke with my sister,Punkie Ingram Caldwell today and she is placing you and your family on her church prayer list,First Baptist in Ironton,Ohio and I have placed you on mine at the First Presbyterian Church of Granville.I will be sending my brother Chip an E- Mail later this evening and asking that his ministry include you in prayer.He has a website that you can Google called Living On The Edge that you may find a comfort. In his book Finding God When You need Him the Most he refers to a series of Psalms that speak to "Whose Will". Psalm 46,51,90 and 139 offer the affirmation of the faith and the fears we all experience as a part of being human. When I have suffered adversity,I have felt the hand of God leading me, but realized at times I was too tired, or numb to even pray or reflect. I began to realize I was not alone and an army of people were gifted to me to share my pain and burden.Through the pain I found a life changing call to purpose. I still struggle with the " Whose Will" but I know the joy in sweet surrender. I pray for your strength, peace of heart, and an understanding of God's will. Your Blog is an inspiration and a gift to others. God Bless
Jeanne Bolton

Anonymous said...

PUNKIE INGRAM CALDWELL SAID; MARY, I HAVE SPENT THE LAST HOUR READING YOUR BLOG AND MUST SAY IT MAKES ONE TRULY REFLECT ON THE PERSPECTIVE WE TREAT OUR LIVES; WHEN SOMETHING LIKE CANCER OR ANY LIFE CHALLANGING DIAGNOSIS IS GIVEN TO US I BELIVE WE HAVE 2 CHOICES. WE CAN CHOOSE FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN OR FAITH OF A SOVERIGN GOD WHO PROMISES TO UPHOLD US IN HIS EVERLASTING ARMS .DEUT 33:27YOUR BLOG REFLECTS THAT YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE LATTER AND IS SUCH A TESTIMONY OF HIS GRACE IN YOUR LIFE YOUR SURGERY IS ON MY BIRTHDAY AND I AM GOING TO CELEBRATE WITH YOU ON THAT DAY WHEN WE SEE WHAT GOD IS GOING TO DO WITH THAT TUMOR MY CHURCH FAMILY WILL BE LIFTING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY UPON THURS AND THE DAYS AHEAD. GOD BLESS. REST IN HIM . PUNKIE