Friday, February 6, 2009

Laughing matters

Tom sent me an e-mail the other day with a hilarious column by Dave Barry, one of our favorite humorists. We don't see his columns in the paper anymore, so it was great to once again enjoy his entertaining way of seeing the funny side of life. The only downside was the subject matter, which was a bit too close for comfort.

The focus of Barry's sharp wit was colonoscopies, with special emphasis on the preparation needed ahead of time to cleanse the bowels. Describing the experience, he wrote, "And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet."

It was classic Dave Barry, and I would have liked to have laughed a little harder, but coincidentally, I had also just learned the surgeon's office was mailing me some prescriptions and instructions for my preparation for next week's surgery. Judging from the doctor's orders I have since received, my intestines will be even cleaner than they were for my colonoscopy a couple years ago. In fact, I'd say they would be suitable for use as sausage casings!

As I go through surgery and recovery in the weeks ahead, I'll have to see what other material I can find to suggest for a future Dave Barry column.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i received that column a short while back - hilarious. i'm on a 3 year cycle and my time is due this year i believe. fun and games. we'll be sending you extra special prayers and thoughts on wed. i know all will go well for you. wish i could be there to help you convalesce.
love ya, jeanette and rick