Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Know your numbers

From the numbers on the paper in front of him, the man from the insurance company could reach only one conclusion, which he gave me with a smile. "You're as healthy as a horse. You don't have any excuse to call in sick tomorrow!"

The paper had plenty of health indicators -- blood pressure, blood sugar, total cholesterol and breakdowns for HDL and LDL cholesterol, body fat percentage and body mass index. And he was right, my numbers were super. But the numbers couldn't detect the presence of cancer. And the insurance man had no way of knowing I would be calling in sick today so I can do the necessary preparation for surgery tomorrow.

Yesterday's health-promotion event at work gave me mixed messages. It is tough to know that all my efforts to get and maintain a healthy weight, with a diet contributing to good blood sugar and cholesterol levels, could not protect me from this latest cancer. At the same time, it is good to know that I am a really healthy person apart from the large tumor in my abdomen.

Best of all -- those numbers indicating good health will still be there tomorrow, but the tumor will be gone, God willing and thanks to a good surgeon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you Mary (and your family). Just please know that you are needed and have an evergrowing essence in many lives (existing and in utero). Come back soon!

Sherry said...

You will be in my prayers tomorrow and the days to come for a speedy recovery. I will be anxious to hear the tumor is gone and everything went well with the surgery.

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm a friend of Mandy's and a longtime lurker on your blog ... Anyway, in some ways, I connect your experience with that of my father and stepmother. They're both healthy people, i.e., they work out every day, have run marathons, eat healthfully and by most measures fall into that category of "healthy as a horse." That is, except, my dad was diagnosed with and treated for prostate cancer several years ago, and before that, had a heart attack. And then my stepmother had a (thankfully, mild) heart attack two weeks ago. I think it can be frustrating to do all the right things for your body and still fall ill, but I think that treating your body well (as you have) really sets the best possible groundwork for you in this fight against that daggone tumor.

Anyway, enough of that. I just wanted to comment and let you know that you will be in my thoughts tomorrow, and that I've really appreciated the positive spirit that you have brought to all of this. I look forward to following your path to a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Annie's. Just wanted you to know you are in my prayers, as well as those of my friends and church family. God bless you (although it sounds as though He has many times over) and keep you in the palm of His hand. I have enjoyed you blog and plan on enjoy many more happy stories of your gift of good health and a new grandchild in the summertime.
p.s. Your sister loves you a lot and is very proud to call you her sister.

Anonymous said...

Mary,
Sending you healing light during the coming weeks. It's beautiful that you are seeing this journey as an opportunity to write it down.

Shannon
(from the Writer's Night Out email list)

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I am inspired by your faith and willingness to accept God's will. In the best of times it can be difficult to accept, in your situation it is nothing short of courageous. Sarah and I will be praying for the surgeon's steady hand, a quick recovery, and God's continued blessings upon you and your family.

-Charlie

Unknown said...

Mary -

My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. Your fighting spirit -- and incredible writing ability -- come through in this blog. I'm looking forward to the next entry. All the best,

Roger Lowe