Thursday, February 5, 2009

My strength

Another date checked off the calendar and suddenly I'm counting down to surgery by days instead of weeks. And as I get closer, get-well wishes from unexpected quarters march in to strengthen my spirit.

The abundance of my blessings struck me when I read an e-mail from a Rotary friend. He wrote, "I know from the experience of others that when someone gets sick there are those who run away from the person who is ill and there are others who run TO that person. It sounds like you have a lot of the latter. Take heart from that."

Another friend shared the same sentiment supported by Scripture: We are put on this earth to love and encourage each other (Proverbs 27:17 states “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.”).

I can't imagine being in this situation without the deep and wide support of family and friends. I did not fully appreciate before this experience how important it is to run to those in need, but now I hope I never forget it. My goal is to recover so I can return the support and love that so many have shown me when I needed it most.

No comments: