Monday, February 2, 2009

What a friend

One of the things that keeps me going to church most Sunday mornings is that I usually find something in the service to help me through the week ahead. Yesterday, it was the words from one of those great old hymns, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."

These lines in particular spoke to me so strongly, I wrote them in my Sunday bulletin so I would not forget them:

Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.


The sentiment from that song carried me gently off to sleep last night and woke me softly this morning. Dark hours in bed can be the most fretful, and sometimes I let my fears have their way with me before remembering to ask God's help to face them. It helps to have this hymn in my head to remind me I am not in this battle alone.

No comments: