Monday, March 2, 2009

Baby steps

I feel terrible that it has been almost a week since I last posted any updates, but that's probably as good an indication as any what slow progress this is to get better. The good news is most days are a little better than the day before. Better in this case might be that the pain is a little more bearable, or I'm able to walk a little longer.

Walking is my only exercise right now, so it is important to do it, but how many times can you stroll through the house without wanting to scream out of boredom? Not many, but I don't have the energy to scream.

So I plod on. I start in the kitchen with a glance at the clock to mark the time, then head through the dining room, into the living room, out past the front door and around to the family room. Then I retrace my steps, circling the table in front of the living room sofa and the dining room table an extra time or two just to add a few more steps and take time off the clock. If I feel up to talking and walking at the same time, I call my mom or a sister or my daughter so I can get lost in conversations with them and not have to think about every step.

Was it just last September when my idea of a good workout was running 40 minutes on the treadmill at the gym? And just last summer Mandy and I were walking miles and miles together through Gahanna neighborhoods as we prepared for a half-marathon that subsequently had to be put on hold.

I know I'll get back to running and walking long distances again, but right now the pathway to that goal runs through my kitchen, dining room and living room.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it's hard to appreciate baby steps but remember the wonder we all feel when we see our children take baby steps and know that your friends "read in wonder" as you take your baby steps. You're an inspiration - hang in there Mary! Sue J.

Anonymous said...

You must be feeling better if you feel guilty about not posting frequently! I am so happy to know that you have the surgery behind you and you are mending well. Now it is all about healing and going where you want to go. Baby steps are a good thing: take the time you need to heal. Before you know it, you'll be back at 100% and your normal busy pace. Doug F.