Thursday, March 5, 2009

Turning the corner

Sleep and water are miracle drugs. Today I am three weeks out from my surgery and, for the first time, I can say I am feeling good.

Last night I had stretches of sleep that lasted more than two hours, which was wonderful. And yesterday and today I was able to take real showers! I had been making do with sink baths, but there's nothing like standing under the shower head and just letting the water run down.

Tuesday's follow-up visit with my surgeon set me up for making these big strides of improvement. The staples running up the middle of my abdomen were removed, as was the drain on my right side. Losing those last remnants of the surgery was like having a booster rocket kick in to push me ahead in my healing.

It was also good to hear the doctor say that I am making better progress than many who have had a similar surgery, although it is sad to know that others might have a tougher go of it. My path has been tough enough, thank you.

My challenge now is to not get too carried away and overdo so that I can continue to regain my strength. Tom is watching over me carefully to make sure that doesn't happen. He knows me too well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary, it's wonderful to hear that you are doing well. Keep it up!

-- Rick Woodruff

Unknown said...

Mary, you go girl! All of you friends at the AHA are rooting for you.

Etta

Anonymous said...

Mary--it sounds like you are doing quite well! You have been in my prayers since right before your surgery. I, too, had a bout with cancer but have been lucky so far in that things are going well. It will be two years in June since my last chemo--and although I miss the wonderful people who took such good care of me, I do not miss the chemo itself. The followups seem to last forever, but that is probably the best thing that can happen to make sure we are still doing fine. It sounds like everything is moving forward for you--and with the nice weather we have had for the last few days you may have been able to get outside for some of your walks. It is amazing what a little fresh air and sunshine can do for one's mental and physical health. May God be with you, Mary.

Edna