Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Three red robes

I have three red robes, and they are each perfect in their own way. My mom and sister were a bit distressed recently when they bought me a new red robe -- not knowing about the other two -- to go with some comfy new pajamas for my convalescence. They thought maybe they should exchange it when they saw me wearing one of the others, but I wouldn't hear of it.

My oldest red robe is a long silk number that is as comfortable as it is sentimental. A friend was traveling to China years ago and Tom gave him money to bring back something for me. It is always a nice reminder that Tom and our mutual friend were thinking of me. The silk robe has lasted forever because I use it mostly as a special travel robe, since it packs so lightly and compact.

Next came a long plush robe that was at least a size too big when I bought it, and now that I'm even smaller, it is probably two sizes larger than I need. But that just provides extra warmth to wrap myself in when it's cold outside. It was an impulse purchase several years ago when I was supposed to be Christmas shopping for others but couldn't resist the great sale price. I still smile when it reminds me that sometimes you just have to buy a present for yourself.

The newest red robe is a bit shorter and is made of the same soft, stretchy cotton knit fabric as are the new gray pajamas. It doesn't hurt that the ensemble is in my favorite Buckeye colors, but the nicest feature is the lighter weight, old-T-shirt-soft material, perfect for the warmer weather on the way.

My three red robes are no more redundant to me than are three children in some families. Each one is special for its own unique qualities.

2 comments:

Michele Toney said...

Mary,
Thanks for taking us along on your journey and for awakening us to the often overlooked joys in our lives --flowering cactuses (cacti?) and cozy red robes included. Please continue taking good care of yourself. You deserve pampering. Prayers continue. Michele T.

Anonymous said...

I love this story :o) It's the simplest things and the people who love you the most that are the important things in life. I hope you are feeling better everyday!
Love, Lauren