Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Marathon

The sun is dazzling and temperatures outside have climbed past 60 degrees, but I am struggling to feel as jubliant as I'd like. A visit today with a new oncologist reminded me that this journey is far from over; that I must prepare myself for more twists and turns down the road.

Physically, my discomfort from the surgery is subsiding to the point that I am taking pain pills only at night. My energy level is getting better, too, although naps are still a part of most days. The better I feel, the better I want to feel, and the harder it is to consider that more chemotherapy or radiation may be in store in coming weeks.

The doctor Tom and I saw today specializes in sarcomas. We were pleased with the thoroughness of his approach, which will require more tests in coming weeks. The outcome of those tests and consultations with other physicians will determine whether a new course of action may be needed to fight any residual cancer or guard against a recurrence.

While I am extremely thankful to have access to vigilent care, there is also part of me that is ready to be done with doctors. I just need to remember not to wish them away too soon and to let them help me reach the finish line. As I recall from my first cancer fight almost 13 years ago, the scary part is not when the doctors are still engaged but when the treatment is over, and you pray it was enough. For now, I am content to stay in the race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please do stay in the Race. Life is a continual race I think -- for you the last few years have been a little harder. You are strong.

Anonymous said...

Another post that brought tears... Not AS much for what still lies ahead (although that's part of it), but more for the amazing strength that continues to inspire you to "go for the gold" in this uphill race. There is no doubt in my mind that your faith and strength will make you the winner! You continue to amaze me!

With love, pride and prayers,
Annie