Monday, March 9, 2009

Crazy cactus

Some things have their own schedules, not to be influenced by what we want to happen or what we think should happen. I have a cactus with a mind of its own. It is called a Christmas cactus, and when I bought it close to the holidays several years ago, it was full of pinkish blooms that reached their peak around Christmas.

Since then, it has followed a more erratic schedule that sometimes produces blooms but more often just offers up seemingly healthy but barren branches. Now that Christmas is long past and Easter is approaching, it has decided to work up a single, white flower. It appears to be on track to bloom well before Easter, so I'm guessing the solitary blossom this year may come in honor of our wedding anniversary next week, when Tom and I celebrate 35 years of marriage!

My recovery has a schedule of its own as well. I am moving toward renewed energy and good health as steadily as the cactus bud, but this process also is not about to be rushed. Naps are still needed. Small, frequent meals are more appetizing than eating as much as I used to at one sitting. Walks are getting longer, and thankfully, some have been taken outdoors with the weekend's warmer weather.

Wishing it so will not hurry my healing, but I can see it happening with the sureness of watching an unexpected blossom fatten up and prepare to unfold.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

What a beautiful analogy! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Mary - you go girl - I will be waiting for you to tell me where you and Tom go for your first golf weekend.....until that time, we will continue to monitor your progress......patience is such a virtue!!!! Alice